Friday, September 4, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday ~ Was There A Doctor In The House?

This is a photo I found at a yard sale after flipping through some other stuff. I wish I knew where it was taken. Can you see the hitching post below the little girl? (You can click on the pictures to make them bigger) Look at the gingerbread! WHY WHY WHY don't they make houses like this any more? The main door of the house is to the right of the woman in the rocking chair (behind the shrubbery):



There is a sign that is propped up against the house that says "Doctor Rose" on it, right next to this man, and you can see there is a separate entrance behind him:


This man is walking on a wooden boardwalk in front of the yard:

Is this a church spire in the background? Looks like they have a little vegetable garden back there too. Either that or it's a grave????

You can see more Vintage Thingies every Thursday (or Friday if you've been busy like me!) at Colorado Lady's Blog.

7 comments:

  1. Hello, you have the most fabulously wonderful site here and I had to leave this comment for you ! Your posts are beautifully written, creative and original too, and you have interesting pictures.

    It's all perfect !

    Thank you for sharing your site and best wishes.... 'Happy September'....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool photo! I love how you picked out all the 'details'...and then did zoom shots for each one, very creative!

    And your new blog banner is to-die-for!!!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! I have 2 old photo albums I got years ago at an estate sale. I need to scan the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a wonderful photograph..it speaks volumes of history in it..a truly special photo. what a spectacular find..wish i'd been there and seen it first!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed your vtt post last week. Must have been too involved with my imaginary friends. Anyway I agree with you. Why don't they make houses like this anymore..., or at least add some porches and gingerbread to the cookie cutter houses out there. I suspect this is in the south because of the shutters, but that's just a guess. I'm sure that they used shutters a lot back then because there was no air-conditioning.
    It's a beautiful house and I know how much you would love to live in one like this. Me too.

    I love the new blog header. Is that my son's house I see in the bottom right hand corner. Wow! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fascinating old photo - I love it too! Lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was at a flea market yesterday where I found an old photo album full of great pics from the 30's and 40's of people on vacation, mostly at a lake, very cool, lots of 20-something women. However, I only like old vacation photos from the beach. I didn't ask how much the album was, but judging by the other items at the booth, it was too much for me to buy considering it was not something I wanted for myself and I don't re-sell.

    ReplyDelete